Travel is more fun with your furry companion and as the old saying goes, the world ‘has become a smaller place’ and this certainly rings true as we have seen a dramatic increase in the number of people travelling with their pets.

Travelling with your pet and ensuring appropriate paperwork and permits have been completed can be a rather daunting experience. These requirements vary from country to country and may require 6-8 months careful planning prior to your trip, particularly for places with ‘rabies free’ status, such as New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii (just to name a few!).

Prior to your travel appointment at LVH we recommend following these 3 simple steps:

  1. Call the embassy/consulate of the country you are travelling to and ask them about current requirements for importation of a pet into the country.
  2. Speak with the Airline you are planning on travelling with. Some airline companies may have restrictions on carrying brachiocephalic pets and specific requirements for the kennel used to transport your pet.
  3. Contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) as they will be able to provide you with the appropriate export documentation required. You will also need to schedule an appointment with a government vet at the CFIA to sign the certification once it has been completed by your veterinarian.

345 College St E, Suite 6
Belleville, ON K8N 5S7